Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pure Phase


At the beginning of March I quit smoking marijuana after being a user for more than 20 years and a heavy user for about 13 years. Quitting almost killed me. I suffered every kind of illness including a migraine headache that lasted longer than three weeks. I dissolved long standing partnerships with the webzine I co-founded, Prayers For Children, and alienated myself from most of my friends and all of my lovers. I thought of myself as a lion with a thorn in his paw attacking everyone who passed by. It was easy to think that my life had more value when I was high especially while I was laying in bed wishing to die rather than wake up to another headache. I regretted choosing to walk this road. The nightmares and incredible night sweats eventually ended and it's been about a week since my last headache. I have been able to exercise and have generated a few portraits. I took this pic today to see what I looked like after such a long illness. This is my new zero, the beginning of this next part of my life. Oh, and I will never cold turkey anything ever again. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jody Jock. I quit drinking in Jan and I'm still learning about how to go without it and haven't had a sip since.

    I was told I should quit Marijuana too... but I am not sure. Please let me know how you are. I think it is honorable that you are doing this. Xoxo in Ithaca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are brave, and i miss you. i love the snow hen portrait. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the clear headed crowd. hang in there it gets better after a couple months. the first 90 days were rough for me

    ReplyDelete